Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Maybe too much information in this post...

Looks easy enough... but not for everyone - In Depth - theage.com.au

This article is all about pauresis, the inability to readily urinate in close proximity to others. Mostly suffered by men because of the open design of most public urinals.

I think most men would guess, from the number of guys who head to the stalls in a public toilet, that it is not an uncommon problem. Indeed, it's not that unusual to see men who leave the stall door while standing to pee. They just need that additional bit of privacy. The Age article notes that "...a 1975 study by two psychologists at the University of Idaho that found a quarter of the male college students they questioned reported difficulty "getting started" when using public urinals." At another point it says:

People acknowledging occasional problems with hesitancy include Oprah Winfrey, Andrew Denton and US shock jock Howard Stern. In fact, recent studies show that about 7per cent of the public may suffer from this social anxiety disorder to some extent.

As an intermittent mild sufferer of this myself (and yes, just as the article suggests, it was started by some taunting by some nasty older kid behind me in primary school,) I have never understood why the designers of public toilets in Australia (or most of the world) do not seem to pay any attention to this as an issue. For example, going back to my trips to Disneyland in the 1980's, I noticed how the toilets there had the individual urinal that is now common here, but with simple privacy screens attached to the wall between them. These just extended about 40 cm or so between each urinal, mid body, and meant that you just had that additional bit of privacy. It worked for me. I remember thinking at the time that it was nice to see that Disney understood the problem, as I think before that trip I had already read something about paruresis, and the screens seemed to be addressing that issue. (Now that I think about it, maybe it also had something to do with not wanting pedophiles to be able to "check out" boys, but I am not about to write to Disney to ask about their primary motive for this design!)

Ever since then, I have tended to notice whether public toilets have copied this, and I think I can say without fear of contradiction that it is extremely rare to find in Australia, even in toilets in new buildings.

This is an extremely simple and inexpensive feature to put in a new toilet being built, so why hasn't it caught on? If it would make up to , say, 20% of men feel more comfortable, isn't it worth it?

I note that the Age article features the story of a guy with paruresis so severe he can't even go in an aircraft toilet easily. Now that is severe, and I can't imagine why he didn't seek help about this before he was in his fifties.

No comments: