Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Melbourne place to stay

OK, Melbourne and other Aussie readers. You learnt yesterday that I will be bringing the family there for a short holiday in a couple of month's time, courtesy of Tiger Airlines. Given that there are 2 kids, a serviced apartment would seem to be the go. Seems to me an inner city suburb would be just as good as the CBD, as long as we are near a tram line.

Using on line services for this stuff is a bit of a pain now. There are too many different websites that overlap and cover the same joints.

Anyone have a suggestion for good family accommodation at moderate price?

4 comments:

TimT said...

Can't think of any offhand, but I'll be sure to look around.

Honestly, you can't do much worse than do a bit of research on the main real estate websites. Most suburbs are well serviced by both tram and train, some by bus as well. Decent priced suburbs might include North Melbourne, Fitzroy and Collingwood, Coburg (my suburb), Brunswick, Northcote, Thornbury, Richmond, or (on the other side of the tracks) Elsternwick, and parts of St Kilda. (Other Melbournites with more knowledge can feel free to contradict me.)

As you get further out, train and tram services diminish, but conversely, prices will be cheaper.

TimT said...

We'll have to catch up over a few drinks. ;)

Steve said...

That would be good Tim. Send me an email though and I will tell you when I am there.

By the way, how is Port Melbourne as a place to stay now? Has it become somewhat gentrified?

TimT said...

There's lots of port-side developments, as you'd expect, and I'm sure house and accommodation prices have gone up. I used to work there, and a lot of the suburb still has that working class feel - Bay Street has a number of cafes and shops, but they're a healthy mix of chicken and chip shops, IGAs as well as yuppified alfalfa-hamburger joints and soya-latte cafes.

My guess would be St Kilda would have the cheapest prices in that general area, simply because it's popularity is such that competition in the housing market is high, and there are a number of places with short term and furnished apartments.

When I am down that way next I will have a look in some of the real estate offices.