Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Drying out

Food dehydrators for home kitchens. - Slate Magazine

Wow. Slate has a whole article about adventures you can have dehydrating food.

For some reason, having a food dehydrator has always appealed to me. But then, there was an episode of Friends in which a weird young man who was staying with one of the characters and had a food drying obsession.  Do Hollywood scriptwriters know that it is a sing of potential mental instability?  

More importantly, my wife cannot imagine why anyone would be interested in doing this.  (It could partly be from my reading a bit about survivalists in the 1980's and how making beef jerky is a good idea if you expect the world to end soon.  Which I don't, but if the government told us that an asteroid was only a week away from hitting, I might be happy to have a bag of beef jerky in the cupboard.)  Maybe I need a man shed in the backyard, where I can secretly spend my time processing food.   (shh)
 
Anyway, maybe it is how I will spend my retirement. 

No comments: