Monday, July 14, 2014

A band considered

Tommy Ramone died: They Might Be Giants' John Flansburgh pays tribute to longest living member of The Ramones.

Not that I ever heard more than a handful of their songs, I guess*, but the oddness of The Ramones and their place is music is well discussed by one of the John's in They Might be Giants on Slate.

*Update:  Actually, I think I tell a lie.  I'm pretty sure I bought a late album of theirs on vinyl, listened to it once or twice, and that was it.  I liked one or two of their songs on Rage, though. 

3 comments:

nottrampis said...

completely and utterly over-rated

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the link Steven.

I saw them at the late Festival Hall in Brisbane and they suited the venue (a boxing establishment) as no other band I ever saw there. I had to go to the back to get away from the relentless sameness of each song.

That said, when they came across a real looney like Phil Spector they came across as bastions of common sense.

Geoff

Steve said...

Hi Geoff - long time no see here. I was just thinking of dropping you a line over the weekend.

Did you know that Lenore Taylor (political journalist) said on twitter, after Doc Neeson died, that she saw The Angels at Cloudland? I wonder if she remembers seeing some male there looking very disinterested. :)