Saturday, February 14, 2015

A billion years to re-locate

The sun won't die for 5 billion years, so why do humans have only 1 billion years left on Earth?

Apparently, the sun will be hot enough in a billion years to boil off the Earth's oceans.  (And a few billion after that, it becomes a red giant that will expand out to the orbit of Mars.)

This reminds me, I was reading somewhere recently about how you could start moving the Earth's orbit outwards.  (You swing a lot of things past it, if I recall correctly.)   Can't remember where that article was, now.

I don't think it was this article from New Scientist in 2008, but it covers similar territory.

2 comments:

TimT said...

Still banging on about climate change and geoengineering solutions, I see!

Anonymous said...

Very funny, Tim...