Monday, August 21, 2017

Jerry Lewis

He had famously suffered health problems for so long it sort of surprised me he reached the age of 91, but in any case I note Jerry Lewis's death with appreciation for the laughs he provided over the years.

I'm not sure that he was all that likeable in person - he certainly gave the impression of having a pretty high opinion of himself - but perhaps some of the more controversial things he said over the last 10 or 20 years were the result of cranky old age.   But at his peak, count me amongst those who did find him very funny.   It did please me when my kids enjoyed watching some of his movies with me on DVD when they were younger.  Perhaps I should watch Artists and Models again soon.

3 comments:

not trampis said...

as funny as an impacted wisdom tooth! Did mighty work getting money for research into muscular dystrophy and should be remembered for that.

Steve said...

Well, I can sort of understand that some people didn't care for his style of comedy. Comedy tastes can be so individual - in my case, for example, Jim Carrey has always made me grind my teeth. I think Lewis is funny for kids; yet even when I was a an older child and occasionally caught a bit of a "Carry on" movie, they always struck me as immature.

not trampis said...

Funny ( pun intended but I find Lewis and Carrey very similar. Hyperactive but boring people. I loved Dean Martin. Perhaps it was his self deprecation