Friday, August 10, 2018

Let me bore you with another dream jumble

One of those dream jumbles seemed particularly lengthy last night, and I could work out the inspiration for the part about my involvement in an artificial flood in an area around the Vatican which had something to do with recovering something in a house that was part of a deceased estate.  [I won't bother explaining here.]

What I had a lot more trouble figuring out was why in another part of the same dream sequence, I was outside loading an old 303 style bolt action, single shot rifle with Nespresso coffee pods instead of bullets, and trying to shoot rabbits that way.   [The gun still went "bang", but, unsurprisingly in retrospect, was very ineffective at killing the targetted rabbits.  I did finally realise this during the dream.]   Someone behind me then suggested that it was Tim Blair's gun, and it was a bit dangerous (ie, bad for the gun) to be using coffee pods as ammunition.  I realized I had used nearly all the pods in the box, and thought I had better buy some more so that Blair wouldn't realise I had been doing this with his gun.

Now I do see Nespresso coffee pods every day at work, and check Blair's blog to annoy myself regularly.    But the bolt action rifle and rabbit shooting?

Wait - I did see a rabbit briefly on a Youtube video yesterday.

I'm down to tracking down the bolt action rifle, I suppose...

Update:   could the bolt action gun be somehow connected to my daily dismay at reading Andrew Bolt!  Heh.

2 comments:

John said...

Upon hearing about your dreams a Jungian analyst would despair and declare that dreams represent the unorganized internal chaos that can only be controlled by being awake. Sometimes dreams are clearly telling us something but that is in the exception not the norm.

Steve said...

Yes. Jung and Freud, while they were still friends, were always analysing each other's dreams, I think. I suppose that it's possible that if you spend your professional life trying to help the mentally disturbed, and writing up books on psychoanalysis, you might have more dreams that are at least appear a bit more profound than your regular re-arrangement of daily trivial junk like mine always seem to be. But really, I am more skeptical about why they weren't more skeptical about the profundity of the vast majority of their dreams.

Incidentally, I recently had another of my old "Now everyone can see that I can really levitate, I'm vindicated!" dreams, only to wake up and be disappointed that I'm just in the bed, a slave to gravity, after all.