I'm not the sort of person who ever gave all that much thought to Dolly Parton. She was pretty remarkable, though, how she defied your standard cultural ideas of how feminity and feminism is represented.
In any event, it did become clearer and clearer over the years that she was smart and seemed to actually run closer to liberal ideas of what's important than redneck ones, contrary to the initial impression her deliberate, um, high class trashy? looks could easily give.
I don't think I ever read anyone having a bad thing to say about her, so I assume she was genuinely a good person.
I have written about her and i loathe country and western music.
ReplyDeleteShe had a bad voice and no range at all and it is not surprising that whitney houston hit her best song out of the park but she she could not. She was a superb businesswoman and a wonderful at giving away her money to worthy causes . She only had one husband and that was for life and as you say everyone loved her.
Her generosity and social awareness make the current technocrat giants look like Scrooges with the highest sociopathic index.
ReplyDeleteShe wrote about 3000 songs.
ReplyDelete