Thursday, May 24, 2012

Odd ideas

Quasi-Transhumanist Charismatic Christians

I can't remember where I read something recently that suggested that Christians who believed in a resurrected body were not really that different from transhumanists.

This seemed an novel idea, but I see from Googling that there is a bit of discussion around on the topic.

I also spotted the review of a book above which sounded kind of interesting:  about Christians of the charismatic variety who seek out techniques (not drug based) to achieve visions (or hallucinations) that they think is putting them in close communication with God.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frank Tipler

Jason

Steve said...

Well, yes, I guess he does count as a transhumanist, but he writes more about uploading minds onto computers rather than on upgrades to the flesh. I think what I read was more about comparing bodily resurrection with transhumanist upgrades to the body. Wish I could remember the exact site I had stumbled upon.