Thursday, March 21, 2013

She makes it sound so attractive

Can you imagine Blackpool without swimming in the sea? I couldn't bear it | UK news | guardian.co.uk

Someone writing in The Guardian remembers fondly her childhood at the beach at Blackpool, with scenes like this:
As a Blackpool girl born and bred, I revel in the nostalgia of childhood summers spent dipping toes in shallow water before slowly heading deeper into the unknown, stepping carefully for fear of disturbing an angry crab with his pincers at the ready....

For as long as I can remember, Blackpool beach has never been particularly clean. I remember as a child wistfully looking at postcards of exotic destinations such as Italy and Turkey, where glittering green oceans made the yachts that sailed upon them appear brilliant white.

I remember wondering why our sea was brown, not turquoise, and why the sand was dotted with empty cans of Special Brew and the odd plastic bag.
 Heh.

No comments: