Saturday, June 15, 2013

Grogonomics recommended

I've been forgetting to note how much I enjoy Greg Jericho writing on economics at The Guardian.

I particularly liked his post this week taking apart the Rupert Murdoch twitter summary about Australia's current economic position.   Rupert's view, by strange coincidence [/sarc] happens to be the ABCIG* collective view as well.

It also appears to be based on lack of knowledge of some actual figures, but is repeated to Murdoch in the circles he moves in so often, he clearly has started to believe it.

Speaking of the Catallaxy economists, as Jericho notes in his most recent post, the stagflation fear mongering which turned up on the ABC (which, by wide yet nonsensical acclaim at Catallaxy, needs to be sold immediately under a Coalition government because, I guess, not enough wrong predictions by their favoured economists have been appearing) and at Andrew Bolt's show (the collective in operation) is at its two year anniversary of non fulfilment.  Congratulations.

*  the Australian, Andrew Bolt, Catallaxy, IPA and Gina Rinehart collective.   It used to be just the ABC collective, but Gina and the IPA well and truly deserves their positions as well.  In fact, its become so bad, Andrew Bolt would only have about 1/3 of the content he currently runs on his blog if it were not for Catallaxy.

5 comments:

nottrampis said...

I must admit to having fun with the stagflation prediction however it did show Davidson has not a clue about macro-economics policy in general and fiscal policy in particular.

By the way I notice you are being moderated there. howcome?

John said...

Andrew Bolt: so stupid he named names and then wondered why he got a racism charge. He just had to generalise and nothing would have happened.

Gina Reinhart: such a sick puppy she has managed to alienate her children - a utter failure as a parent and she wants to be a leader of this nation.

Catallaxy: probably still banned so happy to leave them huddle in their groupthink. Good thing I was banned too, have my own little email list going so don't have to worry about idiots intruding.

Davidson: just another academic sitting in an ivory tower who who promotes free speech while banning people all the time. Needs to protect his little tribe from anyone who thinks differently.

Anonymous said...

Interesting comment from Homer Paxton, Steve.

You know you;ve hit rock bottom when homer finds your blog.

Steve said...

Was that Jason in the last comment? Homer counts as "mostly harmless" in my books. :)

As for the "in moderation" at Catallaxy: I was commenting a lot last week, and it doesn't matter what I say there - the current domination of the threads is by people who insist that disagreement, no matter how expressed, and with what evidence to back it, is a heinous crime against the righteous purity of thought of the blog, and continually call for me to banned. I think Sinclair got sick of the calls and eventually conceded a partial solution.

(Although he may also have reacted to a particularly big dummy spit by Gab after I again called out the women who read and comment there for never, ever, calling out OTT slagging of other (left leaning) women by men in the threads.

Funnily enough, I Sinclair then did delete the comment I pointed out to Gab, but left in Gab's abuse of me for having pointed it to her. (She said she didn't see the comment in question - quite possible, but I have no evidence to hand that she has ever, in the history of commenting there, said in an open thread anything like "hey, fellas, calling out Lefty Woman X a bitch or a slut just because we don't agree with her politics isn't really on.")

The really remarkable thing about the blog is the number of conservative, often Latin Mass loving, Catholics it now attracts in threads. In fact, I had never paid much attention to the issue of the Latin mass before in Catholicism, but comments at Catallaxy did lead me to some prominent Traditionalists websites and taught me that there is a really poisonous and somewhat nutty conservatism out there in that corner of Catholicism. I intend doing a post about that some day.

So reading Catallaxy has taught me some things - none of which make me feel good about the Right as it currently stands, though!

John said...

When Soon gave up Catallaxy he took its libertarian soul with him. It is now a conservative forum where many regular posters indicate their hatred towards anyone who dares challenge the conservative world view.