That reminds me - they must not have become very cheap this year, because we hardly seem to have had any at home.For more than two decades, apparently healthy children in the Indian region of Bihar suffered sudden seizures and lost consciousness. A third of them died, leaving doctors baffled.But a team of American and Indian scientists say they have found the cause of the mystery illness, which killed more than 100 children a year: eating too many lychees on an empty stomach.
The research, published in medical journal The Lancet, has found lychees — particularly unripe fruits — contain an amino acid that affects blood glucose levels.
Thursday, February 02, 2017
An unexpected danger from a delicious food
Lychees can be dangerous. Quite a surprise: