Thursday, August 31, 2017

Just not funny

Just as being under 35 and having at least several gay friends seems a crucial determinant of giving lavish praise to gay written ABC comedy like Please Like Me and The Family Law, each of which I gave an honest try but for which I did not care, I think it takes being in a certain demographic to find the comedy of the two female comedians behind The Katering Show and last night's Get Kracki!n  hilariously funny. 

I've complained about them before - see my comments about The Katering Show, which, after last night's experience with their second project, I think were too generous.

Get Kracki!n takes the key problem of the earlier show and makes it much, much worse.    It is a parody/satire that (to use that mocked explanation from a Woody Allan movie) doesn't just bend the stick, but breaks it, repeatedly, in the way the audience of a University review might find funny, but not the rest of us.

Some women and men of a certain age or background find the completely unrealistic outbreak of "honesty", involving lots of swearing and mock live to air chaos, hilarious.  They probably all love Tim Minchin too.   I beg to differ.

Happily, I see that, despite The Guardian reviewer giving it a 4 star review, most of the comments following indicate that it didn't go over well even with your Lefty biased average Guardian reader, for whom one would think the "women being crude" aspect would not be a concern.

It's basically poorly written comedy by a couple of women who, I suppose I should say, might be good at comedy acting if they weren't doing their own material.

5 comments:

not trampis said...

It was woeful.

Anonymous said...

Stepford

The first para of the piece....?

Were you drunk when you wrote that, as it's really incoherent.

Steve said...

I don't usually write in such long sentences; I think it slightly clumsy but perfectly comprehensible.

I'll work on it again later today, so as to try to keep within your reading level, if you like...

John said...

Made the same mistake with Get Crackin'. Same tired old self-referential humour that doesn't work for me and I can't see how it works for anyone.

Unknown said...

Utter crap. Embarrassing. But coz they are women I suspect we are not even "allowed" to say so?