Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Where did the immigration panic come from?

I don't understand why or how the Australian wingnutty Right seemingly decided overnight that immigration levels to Australia were at (what they think) is a crisis level.

I mean, I know Judith Sloan has been doing a NIMBY, pearly clutching exercise about how her Melbourne suburb is changing with too many apartments being built for too many immigrants for quite a while now, but it just seems to have been taken up in an almost unified way amongst all Right wingers in a concerted panic attack on the issue. 

Is there an explanation?   Is it a matter of the Sydney wingnut broadcasters getting really annoyed at the George Street light rail delay disrupting their drive to work and them deciding to blame it all on TOO MANY IMMIGRANTS?   But what's going on in Melbourne (apart from the African gangs issue) that led Bolt and Sloan to ramp up their attack on immigration more generally?

2 comments:

not trampis said...

the muzzies are coming Steve.

Steve said...

That's probably an influence, but I think both Bolt's and Sloan's recent escalations on the matter have been against all immigrants. I think Sloan has had a go at uni students in particular, which go heavily Asian but not that many Muslim, I think.

And to be clear - I don't actually deny that there may be a legitimate questions about numbers, although I think it is something that is always under review within government. But it seems to me that the Right has decided to suddenly escalate it as an issue in a panicky, right wing populist way, and I don't really understand why, at this moment it is happening.