Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Why the China change?

Sometimes I fear my choice in what I post might be making it seem like I'm a little bit too sympathetic to China.   I'm more puzzled by why it's gone the way it has in the last 4 or 5 years.  Noah Smith has a theory:


  And John Quiggin seems inclined to agree:


 

There's an American guy who has lived in China for 12 years, and he has a video out in which he reflects - carefully! - on what has improved and what has gotten worse about the country since he has been there.  It seemed reasonably balanced to me, even if he does complain about Western media bias giving false impression:  

Mind you, maybe Western media coverage would be better if journalists weren't treated like they are always out to harm the country and have to be tracked and monitored like they are all spies and enemies of the State.

2 comments:

Not Trampis said...

both noah and john are correct.

GMB said...

I don't mind this Xi fellow. I suppose my attitude is changed now that the Americans have been taken over by all these horrific terrorists. Xi is a Goethe fanatic. Fantastic. I may seem a bit glib but when Ukraine the US, and Palestine have been annexed by racial supremacist inbreeds it makes one feel less bad about how the Chinese run their act.