Thursday, May 07, 2009

American food

Thought Experiments : The Blog: Not Breakfast in America

Bryan Appleyard has a funny grumble here about American breakfasts, but I think his comments could be extended generally to all American food.

It's been many years since I have been there, but one of the lasting impressions of the place is that all of the food seems to have a heightened artificiality to it, and as Bryan notes, it even extends to fruit and supposedly "natural" products. (I remember an Australian I was visiting commenting that she had no idea what they put in their bread, but it just never went mouldy like old Australian bread. Then again, she was slightly mad in some other ways, so I shouldn't take her word I suppose.)

It remains a deep mystery how this fakeness in all food is achieved.

No comments: