Saturday, January 02, 2010

A New Year link miscellany

I've been off to the seaside for much of the last week, and there's a post about that on its way. But to get me back into blogging mode, here's a bunch of stuff that has caught my attention since I got back on the computer:

* The Australian ran an interesting article on one of the oddest UFO cases of the 20th century: the Australian missionary William Gill's detailed report of a sighting in New Guinea in 1959.

The case has received much attention over the years because of it strange combination of improbable details (humanoid figures seen on a platform floating above the mission by a whole group of witnesses) and the apparent believability of the missionary reporting it.

It was a sighting that lasted a long time, which is always immediate reason to believe it is Venus or a similarly bright astronomical object. But how do you mistake a planet as a platform containing a bunch of waving humanoids? Some skeptics have suggested that it was simply Gill's poor eyesight, but if so it's one of the strangest cases of mistaken identity from squinting at a point of light It also would appear that Gill never admitted that it was a hoax. It remains a very odd case.

* Slate magazine remembers Omni magazine with fondness. I'm glad I'm not on my own. At its height, it was a great read that I looked forward to every month, and I think I've still got some editions somewhere in the garage, if the silverfish haven't got to them.

* The Australian continues its bipolar approach to Tony Abbott, whose ascendancy seemed to be greeted with a lot of "Abbott brings the fight up to Rudd" guff, but the paper still has to concede that current polling indicates that regional areas still aren't going Coalition, and by all looks an early election will place Labor in a much better position than it is now. It will be an interesting year in politics.

* From Japan we learn that about university research that indicates that lightning (or just electric shocks) makes for a bigger shiitake mushroom crop. How on earth did the Iwate University come up with that research idea? Must be a distinct lack of things for the electrical engineers to do, is all I can say. (I think I've even walked through their campus too.)

* More depressingly (if you like Japan) it would appear the population dropped again in 2009.

* In the trivia department, I learned from the New Scientist Christmas edition that the Romans used to stew grapes in lead pots "leeching the sweet tasting metal into their food". I knew they used lead for cooking; I didn't know it was sweet tasting. It's rather unfortunate when a toxic metal tastes good.

* Scientific American had a short article on one of the big stirling engine solar power companies. (My early favourite, Infinia, seems to be much slower at getting into big production.)

No comments: