Monday, February 08, 2010

Serious TV

Four Corners - 08/02/2010: A Good Death

When I first saw the topic for tonight's Four Corners (four terminally ill people let the program follow them in their last months) I thought that it was likely to be yet another bunch of pro-euthanasia people wanting publicity.

But from the program description, it's all about a palliative care centre in Sydney (and a Catholic one at that), so it's not what I expected.

A couple of years ago I mentioned that the Health Report on Radio National had a surprisingly good segment on palliative care. It's good to see occasional coverage of alternatives to euthanasia on "our" ABC.

And just before Four Corners, I see that Australian Story is about Red Symons and a fight with brain cancer that one of his sons had to go through when he was only 4. (He survived, but the family kept it quiet all these years.) Should be worth watching.

No comments: