Saturday, August 06, 2011

Could be something to this

Look, I found this via the religion/culture site First Things, which found it via some reader who suggested it. It's not like I have The Hairpin, self described as "a ladies website run by Edith Zimmerman" on my bookmarks, OK? Although, to be honest, now that I look at it, it looks much more interesting that I expected for a "ladies website." Anyway, someone slap me in the face quickly, and let's get back on track....

The post in question was Favourite Books of the Secretly Jerky, and I thought it was pretty funny.

For example:

Secretly Loves Himself More Than He Loves [Anything]: Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand.

He’s not going to feed your fish when you go out of town, and he’ll be mean to your mom.

Secretly Planning to Cheat on You: On the Road, Jack Kerouac. I’m not going to sugarcoat it. This book is straight up terrible. It's a bunch of rambling about eating some sandwiches and driving around while eating sandwiches, and driving around, and then making some more sandwiches, which you will then eat while driving around. It is the universal favorite book of commitment-phobes. And please don't quote me that paragraph about how the only people for you are the mad ones who pop like roman candles. You know what’s better than a dude who pops like a roman candle? A dude who can keep it in his pants, rent his own apartment, and cook you something other than a sandwich once in a while.
Someone in the comments thread (which starts off like a sandwich pun thread of doom - you should read it Tim) adds:

And YES to the quoting Kerouac's mad ones, roman candle thing. If I had a dollar for every Facebook friend who put that in their quotes/bio... I didn't realize there were so many crazy, bright, burning stars of uniqueness out there!

No comments: