Tuesday, June 19, 2012

My Gina Theory

Why does Gina Rinehart like to buy into media companies?

I have a pet theory about Fairfax, at least.  It might be as revenge for a far from complimentary profile that ran earlier this year.

Amongst other things I probably read at the time but had forgotten (I don't pay much attention to billionaires, as it happens):

*  she has a reputation for penny-pinching. One former employee tells of being instructed to phone suppliers of office equipment to haggle over even the smallest bills. Another says he got the impression that Rinehart personally scrutinised staff expenses claims. "She had a thing in the back of her mind that everybody, and I mean everybody, was out to do her down, to take a dollar off her," he says. "She trusted nobody and assumed the worst of everybody."
* [Talking of her fractured relationship with some of her children] "I'm not a psychologist, but I'm a close observer of the family," Singleton says. "It's because the business comes first. Being a parent is secondary. It's just, 'Where do they fit into the dynasty? Are they iron or are they coal or are they uranium?' If they don't fit into the company, there's no role for them."
*  "School was just a nasty interlude to put up with," he said. "Then she tried a year doing economics at Sydney University but she found out it was basically communist ..."Rinehart told Robert Duffield, author of the Hancock biography Rogue Bull, that the university taught "the wrong things". Duffield noted that she parroted Hancock's political views, "mastering all his stock tracts, phrase by phrase". Singleton was aware of this, too: "I mean, a conversation with Gina was a conversation with Lang. They both had the same fanaticism ... If Lang paused, Gina could finish the sentence."
* Rinehart's next husband was an American tax attorney almost four decades her senior. Gina was 28 when the couple wed in Las Vegas in 1983. Frank Rinehart was 65. [This was, however, a happy marriage.]
* Newspapers reported in 1997 that Rinehart had reached a confidential out-of-court settlement with her former live-in security guard, Bob Thompson, who had filed a sexual harassment complaint against her. In a long article in Woman's Day, Thompson said Rinehart became infatuated with him and wanted to marry him, despite his being engaged to someone else. "I told her over and over I wasn't interested," he said, but "she wouldn't take no for an answer". Thompson made plain that in some ways he felt sorry for Rinehart: "She's just incredibly lonely and isolated."
Singleton tells me Rinehart has no interests besides mining. "There is no social life," he says. "It's just work."
There is much more in the article.

It really is not a picture of a likeable person.   If anything, it reads a bit like a real life version of Citizen Kane, with unhappy adult children thrown into the mix.   In terms of political views it sounds like they were formed while sitting on her Dad's lap and haven't moved on from there.

I see Alan Kohler, who I assume has met a fair few people who have met Gina, calls her today "Australia's strangest rich person".

I know nothing of how much personal responsibility she can take for growing her father's fortune, but her promotion of climate change skepticism by sponsoring Monckton out to Australia (and welcoming Ian Plimer to talk to visiting foreigners) does not speak well for her general judgement (to put it mildly.)   If she genuinely wanted to know about the science, she could fly in the top scientists from around the world for her own private briefing.  Instead, the voice of the loner contrarian appeals to her personality, I suppose.

Sure, her works mean a lot of employment and income for the country, but especially that she was the heiress to her father's ideas and fortunes, you can't give her high marks for exactly being "self made" either. 

Some billionaires genuinely should be admired for their extensive philanthropy for the good of humankind.   Bill Gates in particular seems to combine a happy family with extensive good works, many benefiting the poorest of the world.   It would appear that Gina does not spend much proportion of her fortune in any similar way.

So is Gina buying her way into control of Fairfax an act of revenge for (perhaps amongst other things) what might have been a hurtful profile?   Making it a real vanity project to slavishly promote her single minded (and, in some cases, rather simple minded) views would no doubt hurt the papers and kill them off completely.   

Who knows?   But it's as good a pet theory as any.

Update:    I don't know if anyone else using Blogger has found this, but ever since their new editing layout for posts came out, I have a hell of a lot of trouble getting breaks between paragraphs right.  What looks right in the "compose" window often isn't when you post, and then you can have a lot of trouble working out which bit of HTML is causing the problem.  This did not used to be the case.   Annoying.

8 comments:

TimT said...

It's been mostly working fine for me, with the exception that when I do stuff directly into the 'HTML' window, the paragraphs are lost when I go into the 'compose' window. Which makes sense because the (br/) tags aren't there. When I do stuff directly into the 'compose' window I have no problems.

TimT said...

They say living well is the best revenge, and financial success is not far behind that. Lang Hancock once created a newspaper, I think for the purpose of having a go at the WA government. It's possible Rinehart could have something similar in mind. Honestly though the Fairfax business seems in such a bad way that a bit of penny pinching and interference with the editorial side mightn't go astray. It probably depends if Rinehart is willing to listen to advice (ie from those with more media experience) and keeps the public attention off her.

Steve said...

I am surprised you haven't had the same problem, Tim. What is particularly frustrating is that I can delete an extra line break between paragraphs in "compose", and it looks fine there, but when it is posted on the blog it does not look the same.

Steve said...

By the way, I don't ever buy the Age, and have reason to believe (because of Paul Sheehan and Henderson's columns) that the SMH makes more of an effort to be look a bit balanced.

But even in the Age, the "lefty" journalists have been quite happy to put the boot into Gillard's leadership this year: I thought this indicated that the paper was not slavishly a supporter of all things Labor.

Do you think I am right with my guess, however, that the Herald in Melbourne is such a success because of extensive sports coverage and Melbourne's fanaticism about AFL?

Anyway, I'm as guilty as anyone of not being willing to pay for journalism that I like (and I do like Fairfax journalism much, much more than I do News Ltd). As I noted at Catallaxy yesterday, digital subscription is very cheap and I should really put my money where my mouth is.

TimT said...

Um, well firstly The Age pretty much neglects anyone outside of the inner suburbs. Seriously - I think a little while ago they decided to stop distributing to places in regional Victoria! And of course it's very hard to get outside of Victoria. The journos by and large seem to play along with this, maybe because they like the idea that they are an elite writing for an elite; the Baron and I read an article a few months back saying that Melbourne stopped at 'Bell Street'. (It's a northern road that runs between Thornbury and Preston, which are both these days up-and-coming middle-class suburbs.) That snobby distinction ruled out a vast swathe of Melbourne inhabitants, including the Baron and myself (our house is in the far north, Lalor). The Herald Sun is pretty much for all comers, and they go out of their way to appeal to that middle-and-outer-suburban demographic. Sport is part of the reason why it appeals I think, but not all.

(Fairfax does seem to own a lot of of the suburban weeklies, and I'd imagine these papers are doing much better than The Age or the SMH.)

I did go through a period when I first came to Melbourne of buying The Age on Saturdays but it was big and unwieldy and messy. Lots of different sections, so much that they have to split it up into two bits. The Bunyip claimed a few months back he gets the arts section free from the newsagent, because they can't sell it otherwise, and find it worthless. This obviously ties in with Fairfax's traditional revenue source, advertising - they make the paper big to target it at as many potential advertising audiences as possible. Doesn't work anymore though, does it.

And of course the management and distributors don't seem to value the Fairfax papers themselves. It's free on the web, and heaps of free copies are given out, not only at arts festivals and the like, but every morning to cafes. The cafe near where I work gets five - FIVE - free copies of The Age every day! (They also get two Australians and one Herald Sun, to be fair.)

So I don't think it's about sports coverage so much (The Age does do a lot of that). It's just bad judgement and bad management.

TimT said...

Does Brisbane's daily, the Courier-Mail, have a similar appeal to the Herald Sun, do you think?

Steve said...

Possibly. Brisbane's devotion to State of Origin football and the Broncos generally does mean a lot of sports coverage in the CM.

But I rarely buy it now. Very rarely.

To be honest, I get enough news off the net now, and just buy the bigger weekend editions because I like the review and lifestyle sections. But lately, with things to do with the kids on Saturdays, I buy it and forget to read it, so have greatly pared back even on weekend buys.

Anonymous said...

I actually agree with you. I don't think she's a particularly likeable person. I also don't 'get' the preciousness among the right of her being teased on Q&A. All of which is of course completely irrelevant to whether she should be paying more tax, has the right to takeover fairfax, etc.

It's fine enough defending her economic rights (as I would) without idolising her

Jason