Monday, June 18, 2012

Technical issues

I'm feeling vaguely technically competent after working out how to run Linux on an old laptop from a usb drive.  I used Puppy Linux, and it seems to be working fine, except upgrading the browser and other software that comes with it seems to be the issue that requires some more detailed knowledge of Linux.

[Well, actually, there is still an issue I don't understand.  I tried Linux because something in the old XP laptop when running Firefox would often cause the hard drive to start into continual activity, the fan would go into overdrive and everything would become laggy.  I could never work out what process was causing this - it seemed to be Firefox itself most of the time, but I quite like using it compared to Chrome.  So I thought, this may all be tied up with XP somehow.  But when running Linux from a USB, the hard drive light goes on and just stays on.  I can't really hear the hard drive working much, but I like hard drives to feel relaxed, so I am still disappointed that this happens.  The browser itself doesn't slow down, though.] 

Anyway, I had been wondering for a while what it was inside the iPad (or smartphone) that lets it know which way is up.  The answer is explained here:




No comments: