Thursday, June 06, 2013

Stephen's problem

Stephen Fry reveals details of recent attempted suicide | Culture | The Guardian

Apparently, he had another suicide attempt last year, despite being on medication for bipolar and being a spokesperson of sorts for mental health.

Like most people, I suppose, I find Fry quite likeable, but suspect his reputation for high intelligence and all round brilliance is probably rather over-rated .   I just wish he would slow down.  He seems the perfect candidate for something like intense meditation for its calming effect.

1 comment:

John said...

Meditation works for people with relatively low level problems but for some conditions meditation is impractical, their cognitive behavior is far too disorganised to benefit from it and they might even become worse with meditation. Bipolar is a very strange condition with no clear understanding. In these days I am even thinking more about understanding these types of conditions by reference to cellular energy dynamics(beautiful study last week on mood, mitochondria, and how antidepressants and antipsychotics alter mitochondrial function in very surprising ways).

I watch QI and in the last series I commented to a friend how Fry seemed rather snarky at times. In this current series though he seemed very jovial and convivial. He doesn't take the drugs, I can appreciate his decision but the sad truth is that many bipolar individuals need those drugs and Fry needs to reconsider his opinion.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention Steve. I like Fry and hope he can see his way past his current state.