Thursday, August 01, 2013

Hi everyone...have a look at my...

Some time ago, I noted English media reports about the spectacularly odd medical exhibitionist program Embarrassing Bodies.  When I wrote it, I didn't realise it was being shown late night on one of our networks. Since then, I have seen brief bits from it, but last night I got my longest burst of it while half browsing the internet.

This show causes me something close to the cognitive meltdown that awaited poor old HAL. First of all, you could say that the bedside manner of the doctors is exemplary, and (if last night's show is any guide) the patients appear pretty ordinary, normal folk off to get some free medical advice (and, I would hope, treatment.)  The medical explanations of their problems are often accompanied by clear and understandable graphics, and you can appreciate an educational aspect of the show.

But on the other hand, the show can be summarised like this (from last night's episode): "hey world, have a look in close up at my hairy butt while the doctor puts on a glove and tries to work out why I have poos so big they hurt me". Or - "Mum, Dad, everyone I know down my street - did you know I've been finding sex painful since childbirth, and the scar tissue near my vagina will be on telly tonight."

On the third hand, you can say that excessive prudery about nudity is cultural and a bit silly really, and everyone on the show has a (kind of) commendable maturity about it. But honestly, mere nudity is a bit different from having your vagina or testicles examined on TV. There's rarely any doubt about whose genitals are up on the screen too - there are plenty of long shots showing both faces and those bits on display.  And besides just the physical aspect - there is a difference between being open and not embarrassed about a bodily function with a doctor in his or her rooms, and the same on international television. 

How do these patients warn people they know that if they don't want to learn more than they care to know about them, they should not watch an upcoming episode? Do the producers kindly provide a standard warning email/telephone service that seeks to prevent parents/co-workers/neighbours from having nightmares (or, at least, strange conversations around the watercooler the next morning)?  "So, Raj, I didn't realise you actually shave down four inches below your neck so we wouldn't know your body is ape-like hairy."  (Yes, another story from last night's episode.)
 
And why do normal looking and sounding people go on the show at all? Is the NHS so hopeless that they can't get decent treatment except while naked on international television?   And, as I noted in my last bit of writing about the show, what is it about the British that have swung from having Mary Whitehouse as a prominent figure, to being the nation most willing to talk about their genitals and what they do with them on TV?  It's a blessing she's dead; shows like this and the other British series I think I mentioned before about the cheery souls being tested for VD at the clinic would have had her on medication.

The show is both (sort of) good, and so weird I can't stay with it for more than 20 minutes.


4 comments:

John said...

I can't stand it, just another example of voyeurism on TV.

Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt.

Anne said...

I am a Brit and agree with you. I have only seen the show once, on account of a condition suffered by someone close to me (honest) and it was informative. It was good that it was dealt with in a frank and constructive manner, and the readiness of the patient to be interviewed helped to de-embarrass it.
But still. Being English, I cannot begin to understand the generosity of spirit/recklessness/exhibitionism that enables people to expose themselves this way. I'm kind of glad they are prepared to, but wouldn't want to watch any of these programmes unless I had a (vicarious) personal interest.

Anne said...

And I intensely dislike the way we use the word "show" here. It does indeed suggest the voyeurism that John criticises. Is that salesmanship, or a disarming honesty? Bit of both, I suspect.

Steve said...

Hi Anne! I didn't know you were still a visitor here: it's been ages since you commented.

(I used to be able to sort of spot regulars by looking at the details at Sitemeter, especially when having only about 50 visitors a day. I could say "oh look, that person from Africa/the middle of England/Brisbane has been again. But Sitemeter had a mysterious breakdown in the last year [unexplained on their site] and it has never returned to full functionality, even though it indicates total number of visitors. Google stats is hopeless at spotting individual visitors.)

Anyway, I see you've finally had a warm summer. Hope you've enjoyed it...