Saturday, November 07, 2015

The paywall issue

I've never put a lot of effort into avoiding paywalls and page view limits:  I use "Google the headline" sometimes, but page view limits I've generally lived with.  Media organisations have to make money, after all.*

So given that there are some publications with page view limits I'm prepared to try to get around, and deleting history gets a bit tedious, I realised this week when I stumbled across something about the Tor network that this might be an easier way around the limit.

Turns out for those using android that there is simple Tor accessing app (Orbot) and an associated browser (Orweb.)  The browser is pretty terrible, though; but I have found a Tor version of Firefox too (Orfox), and it is much better.

Of course it won't work as fast as normal browsing, given the way Tor works.  But as far as I can tell, although you would not be wanting to trust this system on your phone or tablet to divulge state secrets, it seems to let you keep browsing past page view limits as long as you want. 

*  unless it's owned by Rupert Murdoch - but then again, I don't want to spend a lot of time wallowing in his right wing clubs anyway.  For those with fewer scruples, here's a fairly recent guide to getting around some paywall schemes, and here's another - even though I don't think incognito mode works well now.

No comments: