Monday, August 06, 2018

Mission Impossible 6

Saw it on the weekend.

I liked it, and it kept coming back to my mind on Sunday.   (That's generally a good sign of a movie getting under your skin a bit.)  I do have some minor criticism about it, though.

A number of times, I thought the cinematography looked a little murky, for some reason.  I read today it was shot on 35 film, not video.   I wonder why.   I thought the digital editing required to remove safety ropes was much easier on video?   Does this account for it not looking as sharp as I expect from movies now?  Was it just less than ideal projection in the cinema I saw it in?

As for the set pieces:  I'm starting to think that the series best visceral thrill sequence may always be Tom swinging on a rope on the Burj Khalifa in Ghost Protocol.  I still think it's just great movie making every time I see it, and it plays extremely well with everyone's sense of vertigo.  MI:6 is more about chase and action, and while the climatic set piece was, of course, impressive in its way, I think as a sequence (particularly with the cutting back and forth to the situation on the ground) it wasn't quite as well constructed as it could have been. 

Interestingly, despite its references to events in the prior movies, the story also did not really feel like it was designed as the end for the series.   Which is good, because my dream would be that Spielberg signs on to director for the last one.  

5 comments:

not trampis said...

Steve,
The original series starring Peter Graves Martin Landau, Barbara Bain Peter Lupus et al was much better than the woeful movies

Steve said...

I actually don't remember much about the original series. I'm sure I saw some episodes, but I get the feeling my family might not have watched it religiously.

In any event, the movies, with the exception of the awful No 2, are all worth watching, and at their best, a lot of fun.

John said...

The latest MI is receiving very good reviews. Whatever you think of Tom Cruise as a person he is very good in action movies. "Edge of Tomorrow" is certainly worth a look.

Steve said...

Yes. I enjoyed Edge. I even liked Oblivion - some very cool production design in that. Neither performed as well at the box office as they should have.

John said...

Oblivion is a good movie. My only concern is that Cruise may have limited his range by focusing on action movies. Collateral is worth a look but not with children. Very violent.