Friday, September 14, 2018

News on TV

As much as I love the ABC, I have to say that they still do one thing pretty badly - breakfast news television.

I've tried watching it for a few days this week, as I didn't have to do school morning drives.   Then today, after watching it from about 6.20 to 7am, I switched over to Channel 7.  The level of detail in both local and international news put the ABC show to shame.  

On the downside, I then had to sit through uber-prat Mark Latham as a guest commentator with Jeff Kennet for a segment, and the show has been absolutely key in successfully promoting populist bad politicians from Pauline Hanson to Kevin Rudd.  It has a lot to answer for in Australian politics.

While the hosts on the ABC show are pleasant enough, it just seems that despite having a 24 hour news channel, the ABC lets whoever it is who compiles their normal news not get into work until 9 am or something, because they really have poor coverage of actual news on the breakfast show. 

I think Channel 9's breakfast TV is pretty bad too, but that's largely because I have never liked Karl Stefanovic (and never cared for Lisa Wilkinson either.)   David Koch is pretty harmless, I think, although with him absent today, possibly I enjoy Sunrise more without him. 

In other TV news news:   sometimes I get to see the PBS Newshour on SBS at 1pm - it is really high quality news commentary, made cheaply but effectively.  

Stan Grant on his evening show:  the guy really bores me.   A good voice, but he just tends to waffle on to fill up time.  

I seem to have left no natural way to end this post.   Let's try this:

Fin


5 comments:

not trampis said...

no-one but no-one views morning TV

Steve said...

Except me, I suppose?

What's the harm in seeing some television news in the morning? I listen to Radio National while I shave and in the car.

not trampis said...

Nah Fran Kelly is woeful.

I now listen to newsradion and then AM.

No TV

Steve said...

Don't get me started on Newsradio and how much time they spend on sport! Gawd, I reckon they fill about 1/4 of total airtime on updates, including on some of the most obscure international sporting fixtures.

not trampis said...

It gives headlines every 15 minutes so I know what is important by the time I have had weetbix and coffee