Tuesday, May 14, 2019

News from France, and Australia

I feel this is another embarrassing admission, but I didn't realise, until I saw it on SBS this morning, that there was a good English news service from France 24, and its English news website looks very good too.  I believe it is a government funded broadcaster, and according to Wikipedia, it is a very large organisation.

On our public broadcaster, 4 Corners last night had a good episode looking at the issue of children being held in Queensland police watch-houses for unfortunate lengths of time (weeks, in some cases.)   It was pretty remarkable viewing, and (of course), the type of journalism that is non existent in the commercial news sector now.   (I trust people noticed the ridicule that Sky News Outsiders got for including a segment with a climate change astrologer who claimed it was all down to the position of the planets and energy field alignments, etc.   That James Morrow was co-hosting, eroding any credibility in his judgement even further.)  

The value and quality of the ABC is so obvious, I simply can't understand how right wing twits can spend time plotting its demise.  

5 comments:

anon said...

Stepford , you goose. How much worse is using an astrologer than some of the models and the green new deal. You’re so pathetically biased.

Steve said...

Biased in this case just means "believes in science".

You consult astrology for your trades, do you JC?

BTW, have you lost money yet due to Trump's inability to understand tariffs?

Steve said...

Can you do me a favour: go over to Catallaxy and ask Kates how he can possibly, as a economist, defend Trump's tweets showing not the slightest comprehension of how tariffs work?

Anonymous said...

I'm happy to reject any bullshit that comes from the sceptic side. You can see that at Catallaxy... as the lurker you've become. You on the other hand defend any bullshit that comes from the warming side as gospel. Tnat's not supporting science. That's advocating religious dogma.

No, you tell Kates to stop supporting Trump's tariffs views. I'm not your messenger. I've frequently criticized Trump's views on protectionism, but I'm also prepared to argue that some good could come out this in the end. Fingers crossed.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I've lost some money, but it pales to what I made with the Trump trade. It's charitable exercise... given something back to the trading community. :-)