Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Meat substitute scepticism

Someone from the CSIRO casts a deeply sceptical eye over how much potential growth there really is in the "fake meat" industry that excites high market valuations for the companies making these new fake burgers.   He notes the growth in demand for meat as nations get richer as being a major factor offsetting any reductions in livestock that an increasing market for meat substitute products would involve.

You should read the comments too, where the author expands his scepticism about lab grown meat - a topic of which I have been sceptical from day one.

In these discussions about future food, it annoys that I have not been able to track down a person who I once heard on the ABC arguing that lab grown protein derived from microbial sources could readily and cheaply feed the world.   I don't think he was talking about fungus derived protein either - from which we get Quorn.   But who this was, and which exact source for the protein he was talking about, I have not worked out.  I think he had written a book on the topic of future food, but there are a lot of books on that topic around.

One other point:   because I looked at a couple of vegan recipe videos, I keep getting this topic coming up on my Youtube feed now.  It is very clear that the matter of vegans trying to make plant based food look and taste like the meat equivalent is very "hot" at the moment.  There are no end of videos about how to make tofu look and taste (allegedly!) like chicken, fish, or whatever.  And a guy who tried various ways to come up with something that resembles bacon - he ended up recommending strips of daikon, dried out a bit, soaked in his mix of soy and stuff, and fried.   I am not at all convinced it would taste anything like bacon.

So yeah, it seems to me that a lot of people are convinced that getting people to eat more vegetarian or vegan is a matter of making the food at least look like what they like in meat.   I am pretty sure that this must be annoying some more purist vegan types...


1 comment:

GMB said...

"In these discussions about future food, it annoys that I have not been able to track down a person who I once heard on the ABC arguing that lab grown protein derived from microbial sources could readily and cheaply feed the world. "

You wouldn't want to track him down. The fellow is clearly a moron.