Monday, July 22, 2019

Ultra violence as entertainment

Yesterday, my wife had put on John Wick 2 on Netflix but proceeded to spend all of her time looking at her phone, while I occasionally saw bits of it from the kitchen. 

I once started watching the first one, but left it before the violence started.   (I think I thought some of the acting was bad, and wasn't interested in a revenge over a dog story anyway.)

Well, the tiny amount I did see of JW2 I thought was pretty dismaying regarding the desensitisation of society to graphic violence.  It was what, back in 1969 (in the news this weekend for obvious reasons), would have been called shocking ultra-violence.   It's still ultra-violence, but now people watch it for entertainment.

I really do not like the way this incremental change happened to society, and continue to be  dismayed at the lack of critical thought applied to the question of the depiction of violence.

I would also add that while Keanu Reeves get all this adulation for being such a nice guy, to my mind he has no taste for being in these movies.  

Serious Catholics who do not have a problem with the film (such as this guy) need their head read.   

3 comments:

GMB said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
John said...

You'll see more violence during and after a sporting event than a computers games tournament. The studies arguing that computer games cause violence are examples of obviously wrong because Japan and Korea are big on computer games and low on violence.

Historically violence was much more common on the street and in the government. What desensitizes children and teenagers to violence is not what they see in games but how adults, especially authority figures, behave in their daily lives.

GMB said...

You really are pushing it with your anti-Russian racism rabbi. That earlier comment is staying up for keepsees.