Tuesday, July 09, 2019

Which is why I would ban music festivals, if I were benevolent dictator

Inspired by this report in the SMH:
Almost all patrons at music festivals take illicit substances, with MDMA the "drug of choice", an inquest into the deaths of six young people was told yesterday.

The coronial inquest heard that NSW Ministry of Health data indicated up to 90 cent of young festival patrons used drugs.

Look, concerts that are done and dusted within 3 hours of an evening, and finish by midnight - that is fine.

Music festivals that last for 24 or more hours, involving crushing masses of people, in the sun, with poor sanitation and leaving huge piles of rubbish:   should be stopped and people sent away to just hang around having fun in smaller groups, like in my day.

Drug flooded music festivals, gay parades that involve celebration of clear fetishes, and people who want all drugs liberalised are examples of the liberalism's tolerance of hedonism gone to excess.   

I don't want any argument from any libertarian reader - I bet Putin doesn't care for music festivals in Russia, and you've got the hots for Putin, so let's agree that he is right on something for once.

3 comments:

Jason Soon said...

I know someone who actually works in the drug harm reduction space and her informed view is the percentage cited is fucking ridiculous

Steve said...

Doesn't matter. Don't like them. Would ban them if I could.

This is my Pauline Hanson issue. "I don't like it."

John said...

Almost all patrons at music festivals take illicit substances

There is either a hugely powerful self selection effect or that is rubbish. Music festivals probably do attract many idiots who don't know how to do drugs properly but I think the claim is rubbish because a mountain of studies show the greater majority do not take illicit substances in general life.