Thursday, August 01, 2019

Making your own fake meat

I ate the left over vegetarian chilli con carne last night - yeah, the flavour was good (most spiced dishes taste better as leftovers, don't they?), but thinking about the texture of the vege mince, it did remind me again that it had a bit of a stickiness to it, unfortunately reminding me of what you get if you chew paper. 

This whole texture of fake meat issue is very important to me, and watching Youtubes where they try to make vegan analogues of real meat, it's obviously a prime concern of others too.

Last night, I watched this one and was interested to see it used pea protein isolate, which I think is the main ingredient in the Beyond Burger.   Given that I don't hang out in health food stores, I didn't realise that this product was a powder readily available.  

So here's this guy, trying to make imitation chicken using it and one main other ingredient as a binder:



I think I have worked out why this topic appeals to me - it's a bit like watching a science experiment, and now that my kids are well past doing science experiments at home, I need a substitute.

Fake meat experimentation in my kitchen might be it.

2 comments:

GMB said...

Why bring this artificial sludge into the house? Do you not care for sound nutrition? If its saving the world you are after, that can only come from out of a bovines butt. Reclaiming desert land means building good soil using herbivores.

GMB said...

The best way to turn pea protein into chicken meat is to feed peas to a chicken. This is not a kitchen activity.

But if you put the peas on the cow manure, three-five days after the cows have been mob-grazed through the same pasture, the chickens will work for you, eating up larvae, spreading the manure, adding their own manure. If you put their mobile roost over a particularly sad looking piece of ground these same chickens will give the soil there a dose of phosphates that it is lacking. And if you treat the chickens in this fashion they will give you the best egg yolks in the country.

There is no way to make fake chicken meat from monocultural produced peas and hope to do your best work interring carbon in the soil (although peas are a legume and so they can help if they are used wisely) And its important to inter carbon in the soil, no matter whether you believe CO2 fantasies or not.

So the idea is to promote real egg yolks and not fake chicken meat. Real egg yolks come from chickens moved daily, with a Maremma sheep dog protecting them from predators. Their vitamin K2 is six times that of normal eggs. Only by moving the chickens around like this are you getting them to improve the soil. If you don't get the chickens to spread the cow-shit out, then you must do the work of the chickens.