Thursday, August 08, 2019

Now for something really important - more thoughts on fast food

I'm sick of being appalled at Fox News and its terrible, terrible propaganda pandering to the Trump base (and Trump himself).   That Tucker Carlson clip where he says "white nationalism?  it's a problem about as real as Russian interference" just makes me sick for its reality denial. 

So instead of dwelling on that, let's deal with a burning issue closer to home:   what's going on at Dominos pizza?

*  I am deeply suspicious that the Dom Pizza Checker - the alleged scanner that is supposed to check the quality of each pizza - does anything useful (or perhaps, anything at all?)  Maybe it's there to take a pic of each pizza so as to help the shop owner defend any claim of contamination?    Has any employee spilled the beans as to its true point and utility yet? 

*  We noticed recently that the regular pizza size has become smaller - and now there is a large size that is below the ridiculous "New York Pizza" size.  The New York Pizzas are a pathetic range in their toppings, by the way.

*  Something was different about the taste of the pizza last night.   A sourer taste that was not inedible, but different.  I think it was in the taste of the tomato sauce, but I might be wrong.   Was it a temporary aberration, or have they change their sauce supplier?  (I wouldn't be surprised if its from some far flung corner of the world as a cost savings measure.)

My main point is - why does fast food keep changing so much?   They seem to never get to a point where things can stay more or less the same for more than 12 months.   The same with McDonalds - they used to have much more stable menu with just one special menu item that might come and go in a month.   Now (although I really don't go there much anymore), it just seems that the entire menu is in a state of constant flux.  

I don't really understand this - I get the benefit of having some menu variation (the burger or pizza of the month, for example) to keep customers coming back to try something new, but surely too much variation starts to annoy customers, like me?

I get the feeling that the fast food industry has succumbed to something equivalent to the managerial wankerism of the 1980s, where "experts" with MBAs thought the most important thing was for organisations to spent a month of meetings on drafting a mission statement.  Are there fast food business consultants having a similar rein over the fast food industry at the moment?

6 comments:

Jason Soon said...

was never really into Dominos
I prefer the boutique ones you can get in pubs with exotic flavours like chicken tandoori

and the burgers are better at Hungry Jacks

Not Trampis said...

are you a steakholder Soony?

Steve said...

No - Hungry Jacks have a distinctly fake smoke taste about them, I reckon.

I enjoyed McDonalds short lived experiment with "build your own" burgers that would be brought to your table on a wood platter, with the french fries in the metal basket. Luxury, it was.

Also, the mexican burger that was a corn roll and with lots of avocado - that was nice, and I think only appeared on their menu temporarily once, about a decade or more ago.

I will bore people at the nursing home in future with memories of that..

John said...

They keep changing but largely remain the same. It's like new model cars, a small change keeps the public interest up because human beings respond to novelty and tire of familiarity.

TimT said...

Aren't Dominos the bargain-basement dwellers of the pizza delivery world, though? That's been my impression on the few times I've used them.

Steve said...

Yes Tim: except they went out of their way to have a more upmarket range some years ago, I think to counter Capers.

I think recent price increases (and size changes) indicate the bargain basement prices were not still viable. I feel sorry for the franchisees, actually, who I suspect are being forced into running uneconomic businesses just so the franchisor can increase market share.

I think some of their range is still quite nice, and good value; at least if you use one of the special deals which always seem to be available.