Friday, September 13, 2019

Happens to a lot of blokey blokes, it seems

Jack the Insider, the ever genial blokey writer, says today (in relation to the apparent suicide of that ex footy player) that he too has had periods of suffering from suicidal ideation.  He writes:
...for many years, suicide ideation was like an unwelcome houseguest I couldn’t get shot of. The demons of anxiety, panic and desolation mutter away. “I’ll never be any good.’’ “I’m letting everyone down.’’ Combine that dark mantra with a sleepless couple of nights and you’re in the danger zone, borderline psychotic, suffering silently from a pain that won’t go away.

Some people still cling to the atavistic notion that suicide is for the weak. It’s not. It can’t be. It is almost the hardest thing anyone can do, bearing in mind the hardest is to survive and live on.
Mental illness is, if not invisible, then something sufferers are adept at camouflaging. It hides in plain sight. There are no ugly blemishes or boils, no hacking coughs, no greying of complexions. It is almost impossible to see in others.

I’ve spoken on live television. I’ve spoken at venues where audiences that number from fifty to five thousand. I flick the switch to the wisecracking good bloke, that part of my personality that people expect to see. I do it easily and without any reservations. I like that part of me, but I know it is a disguise.
Well that's very clear, direct writing on the topic, if a little worrying in its warning that it can be impossible to tell if someone is suffering this way.   (On the other hand, I suppose, it could be seen as comforting for those who blame themselves after a suicide for not noticing.)

He also says this:
Beyond mental illness the one thing they shared with Frawley was a personality type. They are characters who everyone wants to be with. Larger than life, the lives of the party. I often wonder if there is some correlation between that personality type and frequency of mental health problems.
It could just be more my personality than any particular insight I have into other people, but it's fair to say that I have always felt that I do not want to be around "life of the party" types;  perhaps due to a sense I've instinctively had that brashness can too easily be a cover for inner dissatisfaction?

Either that, or I just dislike other people having too much fun. :)
 
Also on this topic, I noticed on Twitter this thread by some people complaining about RU OK day - many saying that they had suffered mental health issues and they did not enjoy the day at all, thinking it was shallow and a patronising take on a problem which lasts all year, not just one day, etc etc.

To be honest, even allowing for their problems, this annoys me.   Any "day" which intends to promote awareness or raise money for research can annoy people affected by the illness.   I'm sure I read once that parents who have lost a baby to SIDS can find the "red nose day" a distressing reminder of their loss.  I can understand that, at least for the first few years after their baby's death. 

But really, you have to allow for the greater good that such promotions may achieve, and the good intentions of the people who create such awareness of a health issue.  

Sure, have a whinge about the lack of readily accessible mental health services, if that is something you know about, but don't get upset at a program that can do some good.

6 comments:

GMB said...

" I'm sure I read once that parents who have lost a baby to SIDS can find the "red nose day" a distressing reminder of their loss. I can understand that, at least for the first few years after their baby's death."

It was found out by an Australian researcher that SIDS was being caused by vaccines. But this was suppressed. SIDS fund-raising at the highest level is just a distraction from these considerations. They take the same approach in cancer research. The history is one of suppressing anything that actually works and then holding a fund-raiser. Very sad.

Steve said...

Um, and why would this revelation that could stop SIDS be suppressed, Graeme?

GMB said...

Why do you think? Can you not think for yourself? They want everyone pumped full of Mercury and Aluminium of course. They want to damage our children. Pretty obvious isn't it?

GMB said...

Let me explain a bit better. Under Republican Rome, if Rome decided that you were the enemy they'd make their war against you BIG AND SHORT. Force terms out of you. Make you pay them a special tax. But the military action could be short.

Now that the oligarchy wages war against us, its an undeclared war. It includes every possible form of warfare that could be imagined. And you are not socially able to say that you are being victimised. Warfare has never been the same since about 1913. Everything is weaponised and its most about demoralisation and social engineering.

GMB said...

Here is a playlist to bring you up to speed on 3 dimensional war and subversion.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLddfeJXFHp05syja20v5llCKfVnZs3IO7

You didn't imagine that shooting aluminium and mercury into small children was for their health did you?

GMB said...

If you don't like the answer than why not get rid of the question? You don't think they shoot nerve poisons into the kids for medical reasons do you?