Sunday, September 22, 2019

More modern comedy I didn't like

Watched the 2012 movie version of 21 Jump Street last night.   (Another cheap hire on Google.  I must stop doing that.)  Can't say I cared for it. 

I didn't read much about it at the time, except that I knew it was pretty well reviewed going by Rotten Tomatoes.  I didn't care for the (more than I expected) amount of swearing, but I'm most surprised it didn't attract more commentary for being way, way too much like a homophobic teenage boy's idea of a screenplay.   I know the main characters were meant to be immature, but you can only claim to be ironically getting humour from immature straight characters talking about sex acts between men up to a certain point.    And it's disingenuous, because you know actual homophobes will find it particularly hilarious.

I have found an article at Vanity Fair that shared my take on this aspect.  (And OK, I did read this before I wrote the paragraph above):
As I hope you can intuit, I’m being ironically homophobic—as, to be very charitable, the filmmakers behind 21 Jump Street may also be. That would be an improvement over Don Draper–era jokes about limp-wristed hairdressers, I suppose, but irony can serve as a flimsy cover-up, too. It’s an easy hall pass to wave, like the way some people think saying “just kidding!” puts the burden of offense on anyone they’ve just insulted. You also have to calculate who’s laughing at a joke and why, who’s in on it and who’s left outside.
I also see that the sequel dwells more on this type of humour, and that before its release, Jonah Hill got into trouble by being caught yelling "Faggot" at some photographers bothering him.  He apologised, and said he was a gay rights activist from way back.   He may well be, but I think he's pretty dumb in that case.  From what I read, one of the characters in the sequel makes a speech about how you shouldn't use that sort of language about gays.   Which indicates real life irony as far as Hill is concerned.

As I say, why didn't this bother more reviewers?

Update:  just to show that I am not exactly squeemish about "penis" in comedy per se - I thought this recent bit on Conan was pretty funny:


2 comments:

Steve said...

He is an odd looking dude, but can be very funny.

GMB said...

I very much like his frequent guest. Norm MacDonald.