Thursday, October 03, 2019

American candidates

So, it would seem Bernie's health rules him out, and the Democratic candidate for President will be Biden or Warren.

I really don't follow American politics in the same level of detail that other people do, so I haven't paid much attention to Warren.  But Biden does seem too old and past it, and while Warren herself is 70, she looks younger and pretty fit.  She seems a lot younger than Trump, even though he is only 3 years older.    

Lots of people I trust on twitter say she's good at explaining stuff, and Zuckerberg has it in for her, so she probably should be the next President.   She is said to have Wall Street in a panic because she wants a wealth tax (but only kicks in at $50 million)  Surely Democrats can stand up to the rich who think that will be a disaster?

Americans can be a bit weird in their view of tax though.  They fantasise about upward mobility so much that they can imagine how annoyed they would be if facing a wealth tax, even if they're personally forever stuck on a barely living wage and have so few assets that urgent health care could send them bankrupt. 

12 comments:

Jason Soon said...

you go with Pocahontas, Steve

Tulsi is the one for me

https://twitter.com/TulsiGabbard/status/1173723701373591552

Jason Soon said...

First woman President and deservedly https://twitter.com/TulsiGabbard/status/1173605168841203712

Steve said...

She's polling at 1%. Dream on.

Steve said...

I see your mate Mark L is completely and utterly in the tank for Trump now - half his tweets are re-tweets of Trump's. You must be proud.

Not Trampis said...

WArren is quite good on the detail. A shame some of her policies are a little bit out there.
My guess most of therm would have to be put on hold as she understands the offfice
Hmm Soony repeating Trump jibes

Steve said...

Graeme, I am getting sick of the jewish references, which are increasing in frequency.

I dislike Zuckerberg - I mean, who does like him, really?

Jason Soon said...

the actor who played Zuckerberg in that movie about Facebook later played a hammy Lex Luthor. Says it all really

Jason Soon said...

Graeme back me up here - Tulsi is awesome.

Jason Soon said...

Just to put the cat among the pigeons

https://twitter.com/TulsiGabbard/status/1178285545706921985

Steve said...

I really don't understand the US system, whereby never-going-to-get-near-the-finishing-line candidates keep raising money and plugging away until, after a couple of years of polling around a few percent, they finally give in to reality. Seems awfully kind of wasteful of effort and money.

Jason Soon said...

oh my god what is wrong with Joe?? Tulsi is of healthy athletic build and complexion

Anonymous said...

Never complained about Tulsi being fat as I've never thought that. The one thing I complained about is that she shows her gums when smiling. Call me shallow, call me a perfectionist. Call me a shallow perfectionist. I never accused her of being overweight and GMB is hallucinating again.