Monday, March 23, 2020

Late Movie review - Us

I'm having trouble tracking down my review of Jordan Peele's first big success - Get Out.   I'm pretty sure I said it was good, up to the point of the explanation of what was going on, which was lifted from C grade 1950's science fiction.   And I was a little perturbed about the relish with which the righteous black guy got to violently attack the evil white people.

I am sad to report that pretty much the exact same things can be said about Us.  He's a good director of well made, well acted films based on his own really bad ideas for films.   The explanation for what is happening in this one seemed to me even more ludicrous than that in Get Out.  I thought it may have been inspired by a nightmarish dream, perhaps after watching a Twilight Zone episode.

My son commented that it seemed obvious that it was intended to have a deeper meaning:  some sort of critique of American society, but it's hard seeing what it is.  I think it may be a case of an appearance of depth that is not really there.

I would like Peele to direct something he doesn't write, and which ultimately makes more sense.


1 comment:

TimT said...

Have you seen the Key and Peele skits? They can be very obvious, and very violent- but also very well done.

For my part I quite liked Get Out. A welcome return to the Twilight Zone disturbing story model as far as I’m concerned. I find the black American spin on it all interesting, too.