Monday, May 18, 2020

Chicken, butter, cider, apples, cream. What could go wrong?

Nothing.

I don't why I had not found this recipe before, since the name sounds pretty familiar, but I tried this version of chicken Normandy on Saturday night, and it worked very well.   It's pretty straight forward too - pretty much a one pan dish, although you take stuff out and put it back in, which means extra bowls.

I don't think I would change anything about the recipe, except that I would note that I used a "low sugar" cider, and cut up a whole chicken into 8 parts (drumstick, thigh, and the other part cut into two) so that there are smaller pieces, if you want people to pick and chose how much of the chicken to eat.  I would not buy just drumsticks to do this, as it would be hard getting them to sit far enough about the cider/onion sauce while in the oven.  A whole chicken, and the right sized pieces in the right sized pan, means you can be sure a lot of the chicken is above the liquid and develops the crisp skin that makes it nicer.

But the sauce - delicious, even if someone (like my daughter) is weirdly fussy about eating fruits with meat.   She just avoided the apples (I used Pink Lady) and had the sauce.  Steamed potatoes and sautéed brussels sprouts were the vegetables, if you were wondering.

No comments: