Wednesday, May 13, 2020

The modern world

Brisbane's autumn skies are often clear and really good for early evening satellite spotting.

As I left work a couple of nights ago, I looked up to see what I could see with the good view I had to the west, and saw what looked like a pretty bright satellite moving in such a way that I thought there was a good chance it was the International Space station.   I turned on my phone and said "OK Google, ISS sightings for Brisbane Australia", and in a flash, information from a NASA website showed it was indeed the space station.

This is the undeniably cool side of near instantaneous information from the internet.

I am not sure that it makes up for the creation of a self supporting community of idiocy that the internet also enables.  It should, but gee at times I have my doubts.

1 comment:

GMB said...

I saw a shooting star not long ago. Instead of streaking across it was headed straight down. It burned up with a triangle head. It was about 3.00 am in the morning. It must have been a big rock since it didn't burn up until it was quite near the ground. Must have been about a month ago. It must have burnt up somewhere around Dharawal National Park. It was a big one.