Monday, June 08, 2020

A mustard cream sauce

Seems odd that I have never made one before last Saturday.  (My wife has, but not me.)

There are a million recipes for it out there, but I settled on a simplified version of this, from Epicurious:

Ingredients

    • 1/2 cup dry white wine
    • 1/4 cup chopped shallots
    • 1 cup whipping cream
    • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
    • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill


Preparation

    1. Boil white wine and shallots in heavy medium saucepan over high heat until liquid evaporates, about 4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-high. Add whipping cream and simmer until reduced to 1 cup, about 2 minutes. Add Dijon mustard, basil and dill. Simmer 2 minutes to blend flavors. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. 
     
You might guess the simplifications:  used a finely diced half of a brown onion instead of shallots;  some dried herb instead of fresh.  Also, I don't think it matters much whether it's seed mustard, or dijon, or a mix of both.  I used dijon and some German sweeter mustard that was waiting to be used up.

Worked fine.  Not sure why the recipe says add a cup of cream and reduce to a cup.   I reduced a bit more than a cup. 

Anyway, it was very nice.  

5 comments:

Not Trampis said...

what did you use it on?

Steve said...

Roast pork.

Not Trampis said...

don't eat pork.

could be good for a steak

Steve said...

Would be good on chicken. I like peppercorn sauces on steak.

The national dish should be recognised as a pub steak, chips and salad, (with choice of sauce, as long as it's not tomato!)

Not Trampis said...

agree peppercorn is better but I like mustard sometimes.

Not a fan of chicken