Monday, July 20, 2020

About a monkey

I've long had an interest in reading Journey to the West, the source material for Monkey and various movies of the story; but when I first went looking for it in a book store, I was surprised to learn it was a multi volume work (about 2,500 pages in all!) that I would surely fail to get into enough to finish. 

But, I have taken the easy way out, and started reading (on Scribd) an abridged version that comes in at a mere 479 pages:


I'm only 50 pages in, but so far, it's...interesting.

One thing I have noticed is how it's pretty limited in scene description of the fantastical, but perhaps it works because it leaves so much to the imagination?   For example, in a sequence which is reminding me a lot of Aquaman movie, our hero goes to get a suitable weapon from the Dragon King at the bottom of the Eastern Ocean, and we get passages like this:


[Sun Wukong is the name of the Monkey King, by the way.]   No description at all of what Aoguang himself looks like - or the "shrimp soldiers and crab generals".

I also wrote earlier this year about the peculiar Eastern belief about the great health benefits of men retaining semen.  Little did I realise that Monkey attained his immortality via this idea too:

 etc. Seems an odd point to make in a book that I thought was read out to children. 

Anyway, it's an easy read, and I am inclined to continue...





 

3 comments:

GMB said...

If there were health benefits to this practice it would be via zinc retention. Which can be emulated with zinc and zinc ionophores. Right on my desk is a green tea extract called "Green Tea EGCG Extreme." and another supplement called "Zinc Picolinate" The zinc would be almost useless without the enabler. I don't take these often. Its more to be ready if I get cold symptoms.

I remember seeing a picture of Roger Moore stunt doubles in Mad Magazine. The sex stunt double had a thermometer in his mouth, was wearing a blanket and looked very ill. There is something to this. Its more an idea of these Asians taking something with a bit of truth to it and exaggerating it a great deal. Rather than outright nonsense. Since Influenza often seems to gain momentum in this area of the planet, conserving zinc may have had a material effect.

TimT said...

Who’s the translation by? I have an Arthur Waley translation - maybe 300 pages. Great stuff. Apparently the excised material is not of great interest, plotwise.

Steve said...

Tim I put the front cover of the book in the post. Anthony Yu is the translator, and I think he had done a well regarded translation of the whole saga.