Monday, August 17, 2020

Funny movie noted

Until this last weekend, I had never caught up with Will Ferrell's 2006 movie Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby, and I have to say that I found it very funny.   It seemed to me to strike something of a sweet spot in terms of its comedic silliness and quasi realism; and while it no doubt did mock some aspects of the South, it didn't paint it as a Redneck nightmare zone.   No doubt the co-operation of the NASCAR organisation helped make sure it was (kind of) respectful.

I do worry a bit about Will Ferrell, though:  seems to me that he peaked in the decade 2000 - 2010.  (I see that Elf, which I think most people would probably regard as his best movie, was in 2003).  His movie choices in the last decade, however, seems to have included many more duds than hits.






3 comments:

Jason Soon said...

the euro vision comedy is great too

Steve said...

I started it with my son, but it seemed a bit light on in the laughs in the first 15 or so minutes, so we left it to watch something else. But yeah, I have noticed some other people saying it's pretty good, so I should go back and re-start it.

Jason Soon said...

it's ultimately a pretty sweet natured comedy, most of the protagonists (bar one) are decent at heart. I mean I like dark comedies, don't get me wrong, but nice to watch the other kind too