Friday, August 21, 2020

New age category needed

I have a numerically significant birthday looming, and as I was saying to my daughter recently, I'm not happy with current age categories.

I think we can all agree that adolescence virtually extends to 25 now;  youth probably covers up to almost 35, maybe 40?   "Middle aged" is probably firmly set as 40 (or 45?) to 60.

But here's my key complaint:  what do you use for (say) 60 to 75?

"Old" probably starts at 75; maybe 80.   But there seems a serious gap in naming categories between 60 to 75.

"Seniors" benefits start being talked about from 55.   But the problem is, it extends from there to 115.  

I don't know - you would think those so keen on identity politics would spend more time on this issue.  :)






3 comments:

Not Trampis said...

mate you are old at 60 and it is all downhil from there.

It was before but you simply did not know it. you do now!

John said...

Use the health data. From age 60 onwards health costs start rising quite a lot. Another is how many people at a specific age re using regular medication.

GMB said...

Right but most of the is simply quackery and medical mispractice. Doctors as drug dealers rather than the old idea of the doctor being a healer.