Tuesday, September 08, 2020

Mystery phone

I have gifted myself (but not yet opened) a new, low mid-range (as is my cheapskate wont) Android mobile phone, even though it is seemingly the most under reviewed phone on the planet.

It's the Vivo X50 Lite.  Now this is a major brand in Asia (I believe), and the X50 Pro got lots of review attention (at least within Asia) due to its internal gimbal camera, which is a pretty cool feature.   But I have never seen that model on sale here, and I don't spend a lot of time trying to walk and take videos, so I didn't see a need to track that down. 

JB Hi Fi and Officeworks do sell cheap end Vivo phones, and they seem pretty good value, with nice screens.   The X50 Lite came out not so long ago, originally at $499, but it has been on sale recently for $399.

The price drop might be because no professional reviewer is reviewing it.  Even on Youtube, where it seems hundreds and hundreds of Asian people try to make a living by posting video reviews of nearly every phone that is released by any company, I think all of the videos are just information or comparison ones where they list the features of the X50 Lite alone or against other similarly priced phones.

Why is no one interested in properly reviewing a (now) $400 phone with 8Gb ram, 128 internal storage, an AMOLED screen, and all of the sensors which should see me get through the apocalypse as long as I also have a solar powered re-charger??

Here are the full specs.  I suspect the processor is very mid range, but if you don't play games on your phone, I doubt it matters that much.  

This phone is so under the counter that when I went to Officeworks to buy it, it had not been put on display, ever.   They had 4 out the back, and it was on line, but they just never bothered displaying it.  (JB Hi Fi has had it on display, so I know what it looks like.  Lovely screen.)

Anyway, by next week I will have opened and used it.  As with all new mobile phones, I expect I will be impressed by the upgraded abilities in my hand.   And I will review it here.  Ha.

No comments: