Monday, October 19, 2020

Switching to vaudeville

It's not that I have been seeing much of the recent Trump rallies, but I get the distinct impression that he has, as they say, just "thrown the switch to vaudeville".   The silly dancing to music (the owners of which keep telling his campaign to stop using); the repeated "threats" to not come back to the states which don't vote for him, or even the entire country; the talk of him looking more handsome that JFK (leading, if I heard it right, to chants of "we love you".   (I see now that I Google to check that last point that it has been happening at several rallies.   What more confirmation of this being more a cult than a normal political movement could you get?)

The rambling speeches seem to be as devoid of policy detail as his last campaign - even emptier in fact.   He just lies about what he has accomplished and promises more of the same.  

I think what's going on is that he knows it's looking bad and he's just out to get the last ounce of narcissism enhancing adulation he can get by saying whatever ridiculous thing he wants.

The boasting of his looks and the positive reaction it got strikes me as particularly telling of his audience.  I don't think it's likely something the majority of his audience take all that seriously, but I think many probably do take it as an endorsement of their own way of telling themselves lies about their own appearance:  along the lines of "I'm overweight too but you know, I'm comfortable with my looks just like Donald".   It's the same thing as for their racism, misogyny and conspiracy beliefs - he gives permission for people to be the worst they can be and they "love" him for it.

2 comments:

GMB said...

I think the left had a pretty good theory with the idea that the dexamethasone is putting him in a kind of manic mood. Mostly the left comes up with nonsense theories but this one I take to be pretty good. I mean I don't know it for a fact. But its not a bad theory. If it leads to him being able to distribute antibody treatment for everyone for free thats a good thing. But we don't want him to be persuaded to assassinate good people, or respond to false flag attacks and faked events while he's on these medications.

You'd think the dumb left would be happy about this treatment. Thats the take home story here. My friend couldn't get the strong vitamin D, and she didn't tolerate full strength HCQ. So she really suffered with this corona virus. She still has problems with dizziness. The after effects that the left talk about. This is real stuff. Luckily she had the HCQ to stop the lung damage but this was a real ordeal. But look at the President. Got all the best treatments with the antibodies as the icing on the cake. And he comes dancing out of the hospital. A fat old guy and he comes dancing out of there. Anyone with this virus could really use this antibody concoction.

GMB said...

I think he's doing really well right now. Not manic and nutty like just out of hospital. But just back a bit closer to the good form of 2016.

But he's leaving his run pretty late to be finding his feet. Its sort of a gay op in that he's head faking towards people like me, pretending that he's going to do all these good things, when in reality he'll only get about ten % of it done. But its good that we have someone fearlessly criticising the right people, just the same.

And anyway? What choice did the left give us? They refused to hand us a viable candidate.