Monday, November 09, 2020

Movie reviewed: His House

Who knew you could make a horror/witchcraft/ghost movie an effective political one?  I kept feeling I wanted Peter Dutton to watch it.

I'm talking about the new, and apparently popular, Netflix film His House.  It's pretty good - well acted, well directed, and very sympathetic to the plight of African refugees in (in this case) England.   I think it is most effectively disturbing in the last third, when you get to see what that main characters went through.

I do think that the malevolent supernatural forces (if they exist at all) are left with ill defined motivation, though.  Why it would want the husband and wife to react that way is unclear.   (This is hard to talk about without talking complete spoilers.)   But overall, a pretty very fine effort.

No comments: