Monday, January 04, 2021

In a pickle

In December, I bought some red radishes at Mulgowie, and decided to pickle them (the first time in my life I had pickled anything, as it happens.)

There are many ways suggested on the internet, all involving various amounts and types of vinegar and sugar.  I went with this recipe, and I thought it worked pretty well.  I like eating them on sandwiches for the crunch, moisture and flavour they add.

 Oddly enough, no one else in the family thinks they are nice.   Now I have gone past the recommended "eat within two weeks", but I suspect any unhealthy growth in them is going to be pretty obvious.  (They are also in the fridge.)   But lots of sites say "eat within 1-2 weeks after opening".   I don't know - seems a tad overly cautious to me.

No comments: