Monday, February 15, 2021

No meat Saturday

Had these for lunch:


They were good.  Made in Malaysia.   
 
Made this for dinner:


That's my latest attempt to make a vegetarian/vegan burger patty that sticks together well.  It worked better in that regard, but I still was not completely happy with its texture.  
 
For my future reference, this time I sort of followed the Youtube recipe that appears at the previous post I linked above, but with some variation:
 
1 can black beans
1 can lentils
1/2 can of chick peas
1/2 cup or so of grated raw beetroot
1/4 cup of rolled oats
1/4 cup of nutritional yeast (that stuff's not cheap, by the way)
Some re-hydrated dried shitake mushrooms (probably barely 1/4 cup by the time I squeezed the liquid out - next time I would add much more)
2 tablespoons of coconut oil 
2 teaspoons of tapioca starch (for binding effect - I think it worked, but could still go with more next time)
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
salt (I forget - I think 1/2 teaspoon)
pepper (I ran out - was intended to be 1/2 teaspoon) 
 
Of course, the ingredients were blitzed (with a hand blender this time) to a rough consistency - you don't want a smooth paste, of course.

Next time, I propose dropping the lentils, perhaps just going with a full can of beans and chick peas, more shitake mushrooms, a bit more tapioca starch, and add some crushed walnuts at the end for more texture.  I am perhaps inclined to put in a bit less smoked paprika and add some other herb too, but I am not sure what.

No comments: