Monday, June 28, 2021

Food observations

*   Couscous is an underappreciated food.   I need to learn more about where it came from, how it's made, etc.

*   For a couple of years, I have been curious about the Coles branded pre-cooked lamb shanks in red wine sauce:

I finally tried them recently, and was pretty pleased.   35 minutes to re-heat in the oven, and the sauce was pretty nice.  A large amount of meat on each shank.   They cost $15 for 2 shanks, but cooking them yourself takes forever to get them very tender, and they're not very cheap raw either.  I will buy the pre-cooked ones again - at least if there is only two of us eating dinner.

*  I continue to be annoyed that veganism has seemingly totally replaced vegetarianism in popular culture.  Youtube is continually recommending vegan stuff to me (well, I do subscribe to a few channels, so it is my fault), but when I searched for "vegetarian recipes" on the weekend, the results barely showed two videos before reverting to vegan recipes again.     I want vegetarians to try to re-claim some of the popular imagination again.

No comments: