Friday, June 11, 2021

I wonder what my CGTN app will have to say about this

The BBC:

China has created a dystopian hellscape in Xinjiang, Amnesty report says

Seems a bit...harsh.   Xinjiang looks all fine to me on any CGTN report I see.  

And I did put the CGTN app on  my Vivo phone recently.   It works pretty well, although doesn't seem to have a search function beyond being to "Ask Panda" for some news from certain categories.  The live feed of the TV network is fine, though.  So anytime I need to watch a panel show about how great things are going in China, and how the West is not coping with its own problems, I can do so on my phone.  (I was somewhat amused to find the app asked for permission to access my media files when I installed it.  I declined that kind invitation, but it still works.  Now it just keeps asking to access cache, or something.  I'm still declining.)

I told my son that I downloaded the app so that in 10 years time, when we are stopped on the street by our  new Han overlords, I will be able to flash my phone and show then I have been following CGTN for years, so obviously I am trustworthy and should be allowed on my way.   As my son is taken to a re-education camp, I will say "told you so". 

[Sounds like I'm making light of a serious situation re Xinjiang.   I actually have been thinking for a long time, though, that the true situation is likely somewhere between the extremes of the reporting on this problem.]   

No comments: