Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Stop watching trashy reality TV

So Love Island has a particular reputation in England for ruining the emotional lives of participants.

I think the only reality TV format I have ever watched at length is My Kitchen Rules, and that was years ago now before the formula because too obvious and trashy.  I don't think I have ever watched any that involves romantic relationships developing - I have a natural aversion to watching people having such a private aspect of their emotional life broadcast to the world.  Even the more well intentioned ones, like the recent "Love on the Spectrum" - I saw some of it, but I have the same basic objection. 

Really, the format would die if people would not watch it.   But how to encourage people not to watch it?   Make better romantic fictional stories?   

No comments: